Mention an ultrasonic cleaner to the cognoscenti and chances are they’ll think in terms of cleaning engine parts, medical instruments or other industrial applications for this highly efficient way of removing dirt, grease and other contaminants from all types of surfaces.
But ultrasonic cavitation action – the implosion of countless minute bubbles that quickly and safely strip away these contaminants – is also finding increasing application in the home. The action penetrates cracks and crevices unreachable by hand scrubbing and accomplishes the cleaning process in minutes. Residential uses for ultrasonic cleaners include
- Manicure and pedicure equipment
- Razors, combs and brushes
- Small tools
- Certain minerals
and other small products that can be safely wetted in an ultrasonic cleaning solution.
The Elmasonic One Ultrasonic Cleaner
A popular ultrasonic cleaner ideal for home-based operations is the one-quart capacity Elmasonic One unit offered by Tovatech. Operating at an ultrasonic frequency of approximately 35 kHz the Elmasonic One ultrasonic cleaner has a stainless steel tank housed in an attractive, rugged PC-ABS housing 9 x 5.5 x 6 inches high and can be plugged into any GFI outlet.
The process is fast, simple and thorough. Before doing any cleaning, however, you should fill the cleaner tank with a biodegradable ultrasonic cleaning solution concentrate such elma tec clean A4 diluted 2-5% with water and turn the unit on without a load to remove entrapped air. This takes about 15 minutes or until air bubbles stop rising to the surface.
When you are ready to clean
- Carefully position components to be cleaned in the plastic cleaning basket so they do not come in contact with each other and will be fully immersed during the cleaning operation.
- Lower the basket into the cleaning solution. Close the sound-reducing cover and turn the unit on.
- Set the timer for 5 minutes (adjustable to 30 minutes). Remaining cleaning time will be displayed. As you become experienced you’ll know the approximate time to complete a cleaning operation.
- When the ultrasonic cleaner shuts off open the cover to allow condensate to drain back into the tank. Remove the tray, rinse and inspect the products. Remember not to reach into an operating ultrasonic bath.
That’s all there is to it. The ultrasonic cleaning solution will require replacement when it becomes discolored or cleaning time increases. Dispose of it according to local regulations, clean the tank following the manufacturer’s recommendations and you’re ready to start with a fresh cleaning solution.
Contact the ultrasonic cleaning experts at Tovatech for complete information on the Elmasonic One and other ultrasonic cleaning equipment and procedures.